Sponsored: Healthy lunch ideas
Q: I need some ideas for easy and healthy lunches I can easily pack up for myself to make at work or take to work.
A: 1. Traditional - You can go “old school” and have a sandwich or you can change up sliced bread and substitute wraps or whole grain/whole wheat tortillas.
2. Frozen Foods - There are so many options in the frozen food section from grain and vegetable blends to burritos and frozen meals – all of these can be microwaved and ready to eat in minutes.
3. Salad - Think about a salad or buying a salad kit at your Ingles Market or putting together a salad from the salad bar. Add some protein like packaged tuna or cooked chicken to make it more filling. Remember to wait until you’re ready to eat to add salad dressing!
4. Make ahead – Soups, stews and chili in a microwave-safe container.
5. DIY protein bowl with cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt as the base with fresh or canned fruit, nuts and maybe a sprinkle of granola or nuts for some crunch.
6. Mini Charcuterie plate – Chunks of cheese, raisins, and nuts along with whole grain crackers and maybe some crunchy vegetables.
Leah McGrath, RDN, LDN
Ingles Markets Corporate Dietitian