Register for Discovery Camp
Discovery Camp at the N.C. Arboretum in Asheville will look and feel a little different this year, but it will nevertheless be a good time with registration now open.
Camps will be offered weekly from Jun 7 through July 2 and July 19 through Aug. 13. They’re open to rising second through seventh graders, who will spend the week exploring the great outdoors in the 434-acre Arboretum campus.
Learn more or sign up at www.ncarboretum.org/education-programs/discovery-camp.
Learn about food preservation
A Home Food Preservation class slated for 10 a.m. Tuesday, March 2, still has openings.
The two-hour class, to be held via Zoom, will cover the science behind canning, canning basics, pressure versus hot water bath techniques and tested recipes.
Learn in nature
The Pisgah Center for Wildlife Education in Brevard is shifting back to in-person classes, with free outdoor workshops hosted by N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission staff planned throughout March.
- Introduction to Fly Fishing. 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, March 6 and 20. Ages 12 and older.
- Casting for Beginners. 1 to 3:30 p.m. Thursday, March 11 and 25. Ages 12 and older.
- On the Water: Davidson River. 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday, March 16 and 31. Ages 12 and older.
- Birding Hike. 9 to 11 a.m. Wednesday, March 17. Ages 10 and older.
- Tracking. 1 to 3 p.m. Monday, March 22. Ages 8 to 13.
- Salamanders. 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday, March 31. Ages 5 to 12.
Free, with pre-registration required at www.ncwildlife.org/learning/education-centers/pisgah or by calling 828.877.4423.