Sponsored: Ways to Save on Grocery Shopping
It’s no secret that the cost of food items has increased at supermarkets across the country since the start of the Pandemic in March of 2020.
What are some ways to save when you’re grocery shopping?
1. Plan – Check the weekly circular and make out a menu to take advantage of sale items. Make a shopping list so you’re less attracted to impulse purchases in the store.
2. Prices – Check unit prices on shelf tags so you’re not fooled by packaging.
3. Private Label – Try store brand or private label items to save.
4. Purpose – Buy foods that have more than one purpose. Plain Greek yogurt works for breakfast or as a base for dip. Sliced cheese can be used for sandwiches or omelets. Eggs can be a breakfast item, a quiche or frittata for lunch or dinner or hard boiled for a snack or to make a salad.
5. Prepare – Make cook once/eat twice meals with a beef roast, pork tenderloin or whole chicken. When roasting vegetables or making rice or pasta, prepare extra that can be refrigerated or frozen for other meals. Use your crockpot or slow cooker to make soups and stews.
Leah McGrath, RDN, LDN
Ingles Markets Corporate Dietitian