Sponsored: Low-carb snack ideas
Q: What are some snack ideas for things I could eat that are low in carbohydrates and lower in sodium?
A: I tend to suggest snacks that have some protein for satiety so here are a few ideas:
• Greek yogurt - there are lower sugar/carbohydrate versions - these often have a good amount of protein
• nut butters (no added sugar) with celery or a whole wheat/whole grain cracker
• unsalted nuts (small serving) with raisins or some low sugar cereal
• Fairlife milk, it's lower in carbohydrates and higher in protein that unfiltered milk.
• frozen mixed vegetables, microwave and top with grated cheese
• berries (one of the lower carb fruits) with plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese (it's a little higher in sodium but has a good amount of protein)
• Edamame (soy beans) - fiber and protein
• Roasted chickpeas - use canned chick peas(garbanzo beans) and roast w/ olive oil and spices in a hot oven until crispy. Chickpeas have fiber and protein, some carbohydrates but no sugar
• Raw vegetables like celery, cucumber, mini peppers, pepper slices, jicama, cherry tomatoes with hummus or a dip made from Greek yogurt
Leah McGrath, RDN, LDN
Ingles Markets Corporate Dietitian