Sponsored: Making the Most of Meat
7 ways you can S T R E T C H (or SUBSTITUTE for) ground beef or pork:
• Mix it with beans or substitute beans for ground meat. This will add more fiber and protein. (Example: chili)
• Mix it with chopped and cooked mushrooms. This will add fiber.
• Mix it with soy-based meat alternatives or firm tofu or have vegetarian options instead. This will usually reduce fat and saturated fat and often increase fiber.
• Feature ground meat with roasted vegetables and grains like rice, quinoa or farro in a bowl.
• Combine ground meat with cheese and vegetables in a taco, quesadilla or tortilla.
• Use ground chicken or turkey instead of beef in dishes like chili, soups or stews or nachos.
• Use fresh, frozen or canned fish instead of beef in dishes like sandwiches, tacos, tortillas or salads.
Leah McGrath, RDN, LDN
Ingles Markets Corporate Dietitian