Haywood TDA shakeup underway
By Julia Merchant • Staff Writer
Legislation passed in the most recent session of the General Assembly calls for the restructuring of the Haywood County Tourism Development Authority Board.
The old TDA consisted of nine members. Six, or two-thirds, had to be from lodging businesses (three from places with over 20 units, three from places with less than 20 units). The remainder had to be from tourism-related businesses, such as attractions, art galleries or restaurants.
The new TDA will have 12 members. Only half must be from lodging businesses. Two must be from tourist-related businesses, and four additional members will be recommended by each town in Haywood County. They can be from any walk of life, not necessarily the tourism industry.
Here are a list of applicants submitted to the Haywood County Board of Commissioners. The new board will be selected by Jan. 1.
*Denotes current TDA board member
• Carroll Mease, real estate broker and appraiser
• Gary Cochran, contractor and real estate broker
• Phyllis Prevost, owner of Pisgah Inn
• Ron Reid, owner of Andon Reid Inn Bed and Breakfast
• Mike Ray, alderman, owner of Crawford Ray Funeral Home
• Pat Smathers, lawyer and Canton mayor
• Lydia Freyeisen, owner of Smoky Falls Lodge and Grizzly Grill
• Marion Hamel, President of Smoky Events
Owner or manager of a lodging facility with more than 20 units
• Charlotte Parsley, Realtor, Prudential 1st Choice, also manager of Meadowlark Motel
• Samuel Carver, owner of Waynesville Country Club
• Herb McElroy, manager of Maggie Valley Realty and Construction
* Alice Aumen, owner of Cataloochee Ranch
* Joetta Rinehart, Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center
* Ken Stahl, owner of Super 8 Motel
* James Carver, owner of Maggie Valley Restaurant
• Michael Graham, owner of JukeBox Junction in Bethel
* Deborah Reed, president of FOCUS on Greater Canton
Owner or manager of a Lodging Facility with Fewer than 20 Units
• Allen Alsbrooks, Terry Lynn Motel
• Wendy Van Zee Banks, owner of Banks Mountain Home
• Art O’Neil III, Innkeeper, owner of Sunset on Main, Sunset Café
• Tammy Wight, owner of Clarketon Motel