Connect to the spirit of the Smokies
The University of Tennessee’s Smoky Mountain Field School has announced a new slate of programs for 2023, offering adults who love the Great Smoky Mountains National Park a chance for deeper connection to this landscape.
Course offerings spread from May to November explore everything from geology to wildflowers to first aid.
• Saturday, May 20: Waterfall Hike and Nature Extravaganza.
• Tuesday and Wednesday, May 30-31: The Light Show in the Smokies.
• Saturday, June 17: Mayday, Mayday: Plane Down!
• Saturday, June 24: Cataloochee Settlement Hike.
• Saturday, Aug. 19: Historic Cataloochee Valley, Smoky Mountain Elk and More; Plant Diversity of the Smokies.
• Saturday, Sept. 23: Mystery of Monarch Butterflies.
• Saturday, Oct. 1: Bears of Our Smokies II.
• Saturday, Oct. 7: Cherokee Plant Lore and More.
• Saturday, Oct. 14: Land Navigation with Map and Compass.
• Saturday, Oct. 21: Hiking: Just Getting Started.
• Saturday, Oct. 28: Bears of Our Smokies.
• Saturday, Nov. 4: Fall Colors in an Old-Growth Forest.
• Saturday, Nov. 11: Elkmont: Transition and Change.
Register at smfs.utk.edu or call 865.974.1051.