Sponsored: Pickle trivia
How’s your pickle knowledge?
• When you preserve a fruit or vegetable in a brine (vinegar, salt, or sugar, water and spices/seasoning) mixture it is called PICKLING
• A pickled whole CUCUMBER is known as a PICKLE
• If the cucumber is cut before pickling into long slices or long wedges, these are known as SPEARS
• If the cucumber is sliced into horizontal wedges or rounds and the brine includes sugar, these are BREAD and BUTTER pickles.
• Pickled small cucumbers are called GHERKINS
• A “KOSHER” pickle is not necessarily prepared according to Kosher dietary guidelines, but has been pickled in a brine that includes garlic and dill.
Pickles are popular on charcuterie (meat and cheese) platters, in sandwiches or wraps, on burgers and chopped up into salads or just to enjoy as a low in calorie snack item.
Leah McGrath, RDN, LDN
Ingles Markets Corporate Dietitian