Archived Outdoors

Fees increase at Glenville campground

out campingFor the first time in more than 18 years, fees at the Ralph J. Andrews Campground on Lake Glenville, which is owned and operated by Jackson County, will go up, but Jackson County residents won’t feel the bite.

The fee increase is overdue, Jackson County Recreation and Parks Director Rusty Ellis told Jackson County Commissioners, explaining that it hasn’t been raised at all in the 18 years he’s worked for the county. The campground has significantly lower rates than similar campgrounds in the region, he said. The rate for a primitive campsite had been $10 for county residents and $12 for out-of-county campers, while the rates for sites with full hookups were $14 and $16, respectively. 

“We’re going through some updates and electrical issues, as well as some plumbing,” Ellis told commissioners. “I think it’s a good time right now to go up on some of those fees.”

Ellis asked commissioners to raise fees by $3 per night for all sites, which commissioners agreed to unanimously with the amendment that fees for Jackson County residents would stay the same for all sites except for group camping sites, which would be subject to an across-the-board increase. 

“I think that would help our local people,” said Commissioner Boyce Dietz. “I think it would also encourage them to use that, and we’d like more use.”

Ov average, only about 18 percent of the campground is full. Of those who have used it in the past two years, 30 percent are from Jackson County while the remaining 70 percent came from elsewhere. 

Leave a comment

Smokey Mountain News Logo
SUPPORT THE SMOKY MOUNTAIN NEWS AND
INDEPENDENT, AWARD-WINNING JOURNALISM
Go to top
Payment Information

/

At our inception 20 years ago, we chose to be different. Unlike other news organizations, we made the decision to provide in-depth, regional reporting free to anyone who wanted access to it. We don’t plan to change that model. Support from our readers will help us maintain and strengthen the editorial independence that is crucial to our mission to help make Western North Carolina a better place to call home. If you are able, please support The Smoky Mountain News.

The Smoky Mountain News is a wholly private corporation. Reader contributions support the journalistic mission of SMN to remain independent. Your support of SMN does not constitute a charitable donation. If you have a question about contributing to SMN, please contact us.