Haywood County Recreation and Parks will continue its hiking program through October, offering a diversity of guided hiking opportunities throughout the month.
• Wednesday, Oct. 6. Hike a moderate 7.5 miles from Polls Gap to Sheepback, led by Jamie and Ruffin Shackleford.
• Sunday, Oct. 10. Hike a moderate 4 miles on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail to Woodfin Cascade, led by Vickey Watson and Steve Szczepanski.
• Wednesday, Oct. 20. Hike a moderate 7.7 miles in the Rough Creek Watershed, led by Kathy Odvody and Phyllis Woolen.
• Wednesday, Oct. 27. Hike a moderate 3 miles on the MST to Skinny Dip Falls, led by Phyllis Woollen and Vickey Watson. The group will hike only as far as it’s safe to navigate given recent impacts to the area from Tropical Storm Fred.
• Saturday, Oct. 30. Hike a difficult 4.6 miles to Black Rock and Yellow Face Mountain, led by Lisa Cook and Phyllis Woollen.
Hikes cost $10 to join, paid at registration. Sign up by calling 828.452.6789.