Gas leak at Hazelwood Elementary
Before noon on Monday, July 19, school employees smelled propane. Summer school students, summer childcare students, and staff were evacuated to a soccer field adjacent to the school. Maintenance and emergency services were notified.
A leak was located in an outside parking area on the southeast side of the Hazelwood Elementary School campus. Parents were sent a Remind notification and a Blackboard rapid notification message. Summer school students and summer childcare students were dismissed early.
“I want to thank the prompt and organized response of school staff, our maintenance department, local fire officials, and others responding to the situation,” said Superintendent Dr. Bill Nolte. “When I arrived at the school, students were being loaded on buses and in cars by school staff. Fire officials were managing the leak site and staff members were managing traffic. I am so thankful for our people. When something like this happens, our people go to work.”
No other school sites were involved. Repair crews will begin working on the leak as soon as all students and staff are off campus. An update on tomorrow’s schedule will be posted on the school system webpage later this evening.