WNC Travel Guide
Blue Ridge Parkway
The famed scenic motorway winds through the best scenery the mountains have to offer, studded with overlooks to stop and soak in the views. The section of the Blue Ridge Parkway through the Smoky Mountains boasts the highest elevation and most panoramic ridgelines of the 469-mile route.
Tail of the Dragon
No doubt one of the most famous motorcycle routes in the world, the Tail of the Dragon offers 318 curves in 11 miles. There are plenty of great rides on roads off U.S. 129 so its best to plan your trip before you go. A great resource is tailofthedragon.com. The route is ranked No. 3 in the nation by American Motorcyclist magazine.
Long corners and endless vistas make this sky-high road and enthusiasts dream.
Serving up 60 miles of scenic mountain cruising, the Skyway climbs to 5,400 feet from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains, Tenn. But be prepared. There are no restrooms or gas stations along the 36-mile Skyway.
U.S. 441 twists and winds its way from the Oconaluftee River Valley up and over a 5,000 foot divide in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, offering long-range views, forested tunnels and rushing rivers. The scenic route is studded with points of interest, including the Oconaluftee Visitors Center, Mingus Mill, picnic areas or Clingmans Dome.
The Great Smoky Mountains National Park has an amazing array of mini-ecosystems — from peaks over 6,000 feet to low valleys, from moist densely forested coves to dry meadows. A walk from mountain base to peak compares with traveling 1,250 miles north. Several resident plants and animals live only in the Smokies.
• Andrews Brewing — 828.321.2006 • www.andrewsbrewing.com
• Hoppy Trout Brewing Company — 828.835.2111 • www.hoppytroutbrewing.com
• Mountain Layers Brewing — www.mtnlayersbeer.com
• Nantahala Brewing — 828.488.2337 • www.nantahalabrewing.com
• 7 Clans Brewing — www.7clansbrewing.com
• BearWaters Brewing — 828.246.0602 • www.bwbrewing.com
• Whiteside Brewing — 828.743.6000 • www.whitesidebrewing.com
• Currahee Brewing — 828.634.0078 • www.curraheebrew.com
• Lazy Hiker Brewing — 828.342.5133 • www.lazyhikerbrewing.com
• Haynesville Brewing — 828.835.6010
• Nocturnal Brewing — 828.305.7337 • www.nocturnalbrewing.com
• Valley River Brewery828.389.1472 • www.valleyriverbreweries.com
• Satulah Mountain Brewing — 828.482.9794 • www.satulahmountainbrewing.com
• Valley River Brewery — 828.837.2337 • www.valleyriverbreweries.com
• Sapphire Valley Brewing — 828.743.0220 • www.sapphirebrewingcompany.com
• Balsam Falls Brewing — 828.631.1987 • www.facebook.com/balsamfallsbrewing
• Innovation Brewing — 828.586.9678 • www.innovation-brewing.com
• Nantahala Brewing (Outpost) — 828.641.9797 • www.nantahalabrewing.com
• Boojum Brewing — 828.944.0888 • www.boojumbrewing.com
• Frog Level Brewing — 828.454.5664 • www.froglevelbrewing.com
Farmers market season is here in Western North Carolina, with all manner of growers and artisans offering their goods for sale in communities throughout the region. Visit a market near you to stock your kitchen with the freshest food and meet the people who provide WNC with homegrown veggies, jellies, honey and more.