On the beatWritten by Admin
‘Concerts on the Creek’ goes Americana
The 7th annual “Concerts on the Creek” series will host The Darren Nicholson Band (Americana/bluegrass) at 7 p.m. Friday, July 29, at the Bridge Park Pavilion in Sylva.
Other shows are as follows: Buchanan Boys (rock) Aug. 5, Ol’ Dirty Bathtub (Americana) Aug. 12, Porch 40 (rock/funk) Aug. 19, surprise band on Aug. 26, and Erica Nicole (country) Sept. 2.
Concerts are free, with donations accepted. Chairs and blankets are allowed.
www.mountainlovers.com or 828.586.2155.
Vandiver, Buppert, Satcher at ‘Songwriters’
The “Songwriters in the Round” series will continue with Jerry Vandiver, Tim Buppert and Leslie Satcher at 6 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 5, at the Balsam Mountain Inn.
Vandiver has seen his songs recorded by Tim McGraw, Phil Vassar, Lonestar, Barbara Mandrell, Lee Greenwood and The Oak Ridge Boys, among others. He scored a top five single with Gene Watson’s “Don’t Waste It On The Blues,” a top 20 on Wild Rose’s “Go Down Swingin’” and a number two on Tim McGraw’s “For A Little While.”
Not long after she moved to Nashville two decades ago, Satcher met Naomi Judd, who helped her hone her songwriting skills. As the years went along, her songs have been covered by artists such as Joe Diffie, Sara Evans, Lee Ann Womack, Wade Hayes, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill, Pam Tillis, and Willie Nelson.
A successful songwriter and one of Nashville’s most sought after singers, Buppert has performed with Trisha Yearwood, Michael Peterson, Paul Brandt, Anita Cochran, Kevin Sharp and Meredith Edwards.
The Balsam Mountain Inn began the “Songwriters in the Round” series 15 years ago, and modeled it after similar performances at Nashville’s Bluebird Café. Balsam’s performers are most often the Nashville-area songwriters who pen lyrics performed by country and western stars. Many performances feature Grammy and CMA award winners, and all include writers of many top-ranked songs.
A buffet dinner is included in the $49 ticket price, and seating begins at 6 p.m. For more information or to make a reservation, click on www.balsammountaininn.net or call 828.456.9498.
‘Groovin’ on the Green’ rocks out
The “Groovin’ on the Green” concert series will host Miss Kitty & The Big City (pop/rock) at 6:30 p.m. Friday, July 29, at The Village Green in Cashiers.
Other performs include: Erica Nicole (pop/country) Aug. 5, The Buchanan Boys (country/rock) Aug. 12, Julie Gribble (Americana) Aug. 19, Rockell Scott (pop/piano) Aug. 26 and Hurricane Creek (rock/blues) Sept. 2.
All show are free and open to the public.
• Andrews Brewing Company will host Troy Underwood (Americana) 6 p.m. July 29 and Porch 40 (funk/rock) 7 p.m. July 30. All shows are free. www.andrewsbrewing.com.
• Apple Creek Café (Waynesville) will host an evening of piano music on Fridays and jazz on Saturdays. Both events are free and run from 6 to 9 p.m. 828.456.9888 or www.applecreekcafe.com.
• BearWaters Brewing Company (Waynesville) will have live music and Doc Brown BBQ at 6 p.m. July 28 and Aug. 4. 828.246.0602 or www.bwbrewing.com.
• The Bryson City Train Depot concert series will host Liz & AJ Nance (Americana/folk) July 30 and an artist to be announced on Aug. 6. All shows are free and begin at 6:30 p.m. www.greatsmokies.com.
• The Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will host Dulci Ellenberger & Kevin Williams (Americana/pop) July 29, Jazz Night with Richard Shulman & Jesse Earl Junior July 30, Jay Brown (pop/jazz) Aug. 5 and Joe Cruz (piano/pop) Aug. 6. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• Derailed Bar & Lounge (Bryson City) will have music at 7 p.m. on Saturdays. 828.488.8898.
• The First Presbyterian Church (Franklin) will host a fundraising concert for the Black Mountain Home for Children, Youth & Families at 3 p.m. Aug. 7. 828.524.4755.
• The “Friday Night Live” concert series at the Town Square in Highlands will host The Johnny Webb Band (country) July 29 and Mountain Dulcimer Group (bluegrass) Aug. 5. Both shows are free and begin at 6 p.m. www.highlandschamber.org.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will host Reverend Finster 3 p.m. July 30 and Bohemian Jean (rock/pop) 7 p.m. Aug. 6. All shows are free. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort will host Aaron Lewis (country/rock) at 9 p.m. July 29. www.harrahscherokee.com.
• Heinzelmannchen Brewery (Sylva) will host Henry Wong (acoustic/folk) at 6 p.m. July 28. www.yourgnometownbrewery.com.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night July 27 and Aug. 3, and a jazz night with the Kittle/Collings Duo July 28 and Aug. 4. All events begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Mad Anthony’s Bottle Shop & Beer Garden (Waynesville) will host Helena Hunt (singer-songwriter) July 29, Badnew & Summer Jones July 30 and The Brothers Gillespie (Americana) Aug. 5. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. 828.246.9249.
• Marianna Black Library (Bryson City) will host Larry Barnett & Blue Smith (Americana/bluegrass) at 7 p.m. July 28 and a community music jam from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 4. Anyone with a guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, dulcimer, anything unplugged, are invited to join. Singers are also welcomed to join in or you can just stop by and listen. Free. 828.488.3030.
• The Nantahala Outdoor Center (Bryson City) will host Corn Bread Ted & The Butterbeans (ragtime/blues) July 29, Rollin’ in the Hay (bluegrass/Americana) July 30, The Freight Hoppers (Americana/folk) Aug. 5 and Asheville New Grass (Americana/jam) Aug. 6. All shows are free and begin at 6 p.m. www.noc.com.
• Nantahala Brewing Company (Bryson City) will host The Colby Deitz Band (Americana/bluegrass) July 29. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.nantahalabrewing.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will host Red Honey (surf/punk) July 29 and Hearts Gone South (honky-tonk) July 30. All shows are free and begin at 9:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.nonamesportspub.com.
• The Oconaluftee Visitor Center (Cherokee) will host a back porch old-time music jam from 1 to 3 p.m. Aug. 6. All are welcome to come play or simply sit and listen to sounds of Southern Appalachia.
• The “Pickin’ On The Square” (Franklin) concert series will continue with Paradise 56 (blues/reggae) July 30 and Subject to Change (bluegrass) Aug. 6. All shows are free and begin at 7:30 p.m. A community jam begins at 6:30 p.m. www.franklinnc.com or 828.524.2516.
• Pub 319 (Waynesville) will host Andrew Rickman (rock/country) Aug. 5. All shows begin at 9 p.m. 828.456.3040.
• The Rathskeller Coffee Haus & Pub (Franklin) will host Wyatt Espalin (singer-songerwriter) July 29, Twelft Fret (Americana) July 30 and an 80s Flashback Aug. 6. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.rathskellerfranklin.com.
• Salty Dog’s (Maggie Valley) will have Karaoke with Jason Wyatt on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with Mile High (rock) at 8:30 p.m. on Wednesdays. Andrew Rickman (rock/acoustic) will also perform on Saturdays. All events begin at 8 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
• Sapphire Mountain Brewing Company (Sapphire) will host a jazz brunch with Tyler Kittle & Friends from 11:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. on Sundays. 828.743.0220.
• Satulah Mountain Brewing (Highlands) will host “Hoppy Hour” and an open mic with Jimandi at 5:30 p.m. on Thursdays, “Funky Friday” with Bud Davis at 7 p.m. on Fridays and Isaish Breedlove (Americana) at 7 p.m. on Saturdays. 828.482.9794 or www.satulahmountainbrewing.com.
• The “Saturday’s on the Pine” concert series at Kelsey Hutchinson Park in Highlands will host The Buchanan Boys (country/rock) July 30 and Nitrograss (bluegrass) Aug. 6. Shows are free and begin at 6 p.m. www.highlandschamber.org.
• The Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts (Franklin) will host Kellie Pickler (country) at 7:30 p.m. July 30. www.greatmountainmusic.com.
• Sneak E Squirrel Brewing (Sylva) will host The Caribbean Cowboys (rock/pop) 8 p.m. July 30, Contra Dancing on the Patio 7 p.m. Aug. 5 and Deeper Well 8 p.m. Aug. 6. There will also be a “Funk to What?” open jam at 8 p.m. every Thursday. 828.586.6440.
• The Stompin’ Ground (Maggie Valley) is now open for live mountain music and clogging at 8 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. 828.926.1288.
• Tipping Point Brewing (Waynesville) will host The Breedlove Brothers (Americana) 9 p.m. July 29. Both shows are free. 828.246.9230.
• The Ugly Dog Pub (Cashiers) will host a “Bluegrass Mix-Up” night at 7 p.m. on Thursdays. 828.743.3000.
• The Ugly Dog Pub (Highlands) will host a weekly Appalachian music night from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Wednesdays with Nitrograss. 828.526.8364 or www.theuglydogpub.com.
• The United Methodist Church (Webster) will host Robert Holquist & Linda Stewart at 5:30 p.m. July 31. A reception honoring the artists will be held on the church lawn following the performance. www.mountainlovers.com.
• The Water’n Hole Bar & Grill (Waynesville) will host Porch 40 (funk/rock) July 29 and Gary Wylie & Friends Aug. 6. All shows begin at 9 p.m.