On the beatWritten by Admin
Inspirations present ‘Singing In The Smokies’
The “Singing In The Smokies” Independence Weekend Festival will run from July 2-4 at Inspiration Park in Bryson City.
Hosted by Appalachian/gospel group The Inspirations, the event will also feature live music from The Kingsmen, Troy Burns Family, Dixie Echoes, The Chuck Wagon Gang, The McKameys and Smoky Mountain Reunion.
Tickets are $20 per day, per adult. Children ages 12 and under are free.
For a full schedule of events, click on www.theinspirations.com.
Broadway, pop and gospel tunes in Franklin
Mountain Voices will hit the stage at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 9, at the Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts in Franklin.
A regional mixed chorus, the performance will include songs from Broadway shows, pop tunes, gospel and patriotic music. Accompanist Arthea Brimmer will perform two piano solos.
There are currently 45 singers in the group. The chorus is open to all singers. New singers are welcome to join after the concert, when work on new music will begin. Practice is in Franklin from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. every Monday. For more information, call 828.524.3644.
Tickets are $7.
Chamber music series celebrates 46 years
The Swannanoa Chamber Music Festival, one of the longest running chamber music festivals in the United States, presents its 46th season to the listeners of Western North Carolina.
The five-week festival will perform concerts at 7:30 p.m. July 5, 12, 19 and 26 at the Haywood Arts Regional Theatre. There will also be a show on Aug. 2 at the First United Methodist Church. Both venues are in Waynesville. All events are at 7:30 p.m.
Ticket prices are $25 for individual tickets and $100 for a series ticket. Students age 25 and under are admitted free with appropriate student ID.
www.swannanoachambermusic.com or 828.452.0593.
• Andrews Brewing Company will have Mangas Colorado (Americana/bluegrass, $5) July 4, Dogwood Winter (Americana/folk) July 10 and Fat Cheek Kat (funk/roots, $5) July 11. All shows are free, unless otherwise noted. www.andrewsbrewing.com.
• BearWaters Brewing (Waynesville) will have Calvin & The Funk July 3, The Blue Ribbon Healers 6 p.m. July 4, Jason DeCristofario Trio July 10. All shows are at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.bwbrewing.com or 828.246.0602.
• Big Wesser BBQ (Nantahala Outdoor Center) will have Ron Neill at 7 p.m. July 3, Playing on the Planet (indie) 6 p.m. July 4, Red Honey 7 p.m. July 5, Corn Bread Fed 6 p.m. July 6, Paul Constantine 6 p.m. July 11 and Jamunkatrons 7 p.m. July 12. www.noc.com.
• Bogart’s (Waynesville) will have live bluegrass/string music at 6:30 p.m. on Thursdays. 828.452.1313.
• Boojum Brewing Company (Waynesville) will have an open mic night at 8:30 p.m. on Mondays in their downtown taproom. Free and open to the public. 828.246.0350 or www.boojumbrewing.com.
• The Bryson City Train Depot “Music in the Mountains” concert series will have Somebody’s Child (Americana/folk) at 6:30 p.m. July 11. Free. www.greatsmokies.com.
• Canton Recreation Park will have “Pickin’ in the Park” from 7 to 10 p.m. on Fridays. www.cantonnc.com or 828.648.2363.
• Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will have Dulci Ellenberger (Americana/pop) July 3, Joe Cruz (piano/pop) July 4 and James Hammel (singer-songwriter) July 10. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. “The Jazz Divas” series will also kickoff at 7 p.m. July 11, which will feature Paula Hanke and her group, with tickets $44.99 per person, which includes a four-course dinner. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• The Concerts on the Creek (Sylva) series at Bridge Park Pavilion will have Dashboard Blue (rock/classic pop) July 3. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. www.mountainlovers.com.
• Cradle of Forestry (Pisgah Forest) will have acclaimed musicians Laura Boosinger and Josh Goforth (bluegrass/Americana) during their “Songcatchers Music Series” at 4 p.m. July 5. An informal jam session will be held at 3 p.m. Tickets are $6 for ages 16 and older, $3 for youth ages 15 and under. 828.877.3130 or www.cradleofforestry.org.
• Derailed Bar & Lounge will have Blue at 7 p.m. July 4. 828.488.8898.
• Eaglenest (Maggie Valley) will host American Pride at 8 p.m. July 3. $15. www.maggievalley.org.
• Friday Night Live (Highlands) summer concert series will have Johnny Webb Band July 3. All shows are free and begin at 6 p.m. www.highlandschamber.org.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will have Family Portraits (Americana/soul) at 8 p.m. July 3, Mark Keller (singer-songwriter) 2 p.m. and Hunter Grigg (singer-songwriter) 5 p.m. July 4, and Jerry Gaff 6 p.m. July 11. Shows are free and begin at 7 p.m., unless otherwise noted. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Groovin’ on the Green (Cashiers) summer concert series on the Village Commons will have Erica Nichole (country) July 10. All shows are free and begin at 6:30 p.m. www.visitcashiersvalley.com.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night July 1 and 8, a jazz night with the Kittle/Collings Duo July 2 and 9, Rye Baby (bluegrass/folk) July 4 and The Local July 11. All events begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Macon County Public Library (Franklin) will host Marshall Ballew (Americana) at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 1. The event will be a 20th century journey through the American songbook, from ragtime to jazz, blues to gospel. Free. www.reverbnation.com/marshallballew.
• The Maggie Valley Opry House will have legendary banjoist Raymond Fairchild at 8 p.m. nightly through October. Admission is $12. www.raymondfairchild.com or 828.926.9336.
• Maggie Valley United Methodist Church will host its 12th annual barbecue and sing-along from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, July 11. Performers include Angie Toomey, Children of Zion, Subject to Change and The Maggie Valley UMC Choir. Barbecue is $8. All proceeds support church missions.
• Marianna Black Library (Bryson City) will hold community music jam from 6 to 7:30 p.m. July 2. Phoenix Dusk (Americana/folk) will also perform at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 9. Both events are free. 828.488.3030.
• The “Music on the River” concert series (Cherokee) will have Amazing Grace Ministries July 3-5, Eastern Blue Band July 10 and A36 Band July 11. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. 800.438.1601 or 828.359.6490.
• Mixers (Franklin) will have Moonshine Creek (rock/country) July 4 and Southridge (rock/country) July 11. Shows begin at 9 p.m.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will have Hangdog Hearts with Lou Shields July 2-3, Al Holbrook Band July 4, Filthy Still & Gallows Bound July 10 and Darrin Bradbury & Friends July 11. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. 828.586.2750 or www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Oconaluftee Visitors Center (Cherokee) will have an old-time music jam from 1 to 3 p.m. July 4. All skill levels welcomed. www.greatsmokies.com.
• Papertown Country Music & Dance Parlor (Canton) will have music and dancing from 7 to 10 p.m. on Saturdays. $8. 828.736.8925.
• The Pickin’ on the Square (Franklin) summer concert series will have Blue Ridge (southern gospel) at 7:30 p.m. July 11. An open mic starts at 6:30 p.m. Free. www.franklinnc.com.
• The Rathskeller Coffee Haus & Pub (Franklin) will host David Spangler July 3, Pam McCall July 10 and DJ Justin Moe 9 p.m. July 11. All shows are at 8 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.rathskellerfranklin.com.
• Rendezvous at the Maggie Valley Inn & Conference Center will have Stone Crazy (rock/pop) at 6 p.m. July 3, Ashli Rose (singer-songwriter) 4 p.m. July 4, SmokeRise (southern rock) 3 p.m. July 5 and Caribbean Cowboys (rock/classics) 3 p.m. July 12.
• Saturdays On Pine (Highlands) summer concert series will have Fritz Beer & The Crooked Beat (Americana) July 4 in Kelsey-Hutchinson Park. All shows are free and begin at 6 p.m. www.highlandschamber.org.
• The Stecoach Valley Center (Robbinsville) will have Buncombe Turnpike (bluegrass/gospel) as part of “An Appalachian Evening” series at 7:30 p.m. July 4. Tickets are $15 adults, $10 students (K-12). A 6 p.m. dinner will be served at the Schoolhouse Café. Town Mountain (bluegrass/Americana) will be the July 11 act. www.stecoahvalleycenter.com.
• The Stompin’ Ground (Maggie Valley) is now open for live mountain music and clogging at 8 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. 828.926.1288.
• The Strand at 38 Main (Waynesville) will have The Freeway Revival (rock/jam) at 8 p.m. Thursday, July 9. Tickets are $8 in advance, $12 at the door. www.38main.com or 828.283.0079.
• Stuart Auditorium (Lake Junaluska) will have 2014 IBMA “Entertainer of the Year” Balsam Range (bluegrass/Americana) at 7:30 p.m. July 2. 800.222.4930.
• Tipping Point Brewing (Waynesville) will have Round the Fire (Grateful Dead tribute) 8:30 p.m. July 3 and Kevin Fuller (Americana/folk) July 10. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.tippingpointtavern.com.
• The Ugly Dog Pub (Highlands) will have Molly Stevens (singer-songwriter) July 3, Fritz & The Crooked Beat (Americana) July 4 and Hobohemians (Americana) July 11. www.theuglydogpub.com.
• The Water’n Hole Bar & Grill (Waynesville) will have a local metal showcase July 4, The Freeway Revival (Americana/roots) July 10 and Drew & Dale (rock/jam) July 11. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m.