On the beatWritten by Admin
History of African American music
DJ Justin Moe will host “Timeline: A Brief History of African American Music” from 5:15 to 7:15 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 25, at the Macon County Public Library in Franklin.
Moe is presenting this program in conjunction with “Black History Month” to celebrate the influence of African American music in the United States.
He'll be using music in his collection to present a timeline of sorts, from field songs to current Hip Hop and much in between. He has a genuine love for the music and plans on having a reference sheet available with resources such as books, documentaries, and music available to check out from libraries throughout North Carolina via the N.C. Cardinal system.
The program is free and open to the public.
828.524.3600 or www.fontanalib.org.
Harmons’ Den Bistro to host Matt Townsend
Americana singer-songwriter and poet Matt Townsend will perform at 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 25, at Harmons’ Den Bistro at the Haywood Arts Regional Theatre in Waynesville. Dinner, wine and beer available for purchase. $5 cover charge. www.harttheatre.org.
• The Canton Armory will host “Winter Pickin’ in the Armory” at 7 p.m. every first and third Friday of the month. Mountain music, vintage country, clogging and dancing. Doors open at 6 p.m. Free. www.cantonnc.com.
• The Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will host Kevin Lorenz (singer-songwriter) Feb. 24, Joe Cruz (piano/pop) Feb. 25 and March 4, and Dulci Ellenberger (singer-songwriter) March 3. All events begin at 7 p.m. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• Currahee Brewing (Franklin) will host Limited Distance (bluegrass/gospel) at 7:30 p.m. March 4. www.curraheebrew.com.
• Derailed Bar & Lounge (Bryson City) will have music at 7 p.m. on Saturdays. 828.488.8898.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will host Ed Kelley & Steve Goldman (singer-songwriter) 7 p.m. Feb. 24 and Darren Nicholson & Caleb Burress (Americana/bluegrass) 7 p.m. March 3. All shows are free. www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night Feb. 22 and March 1, and a jazz night with the Kittle/Collings Duo Feb. 23 and March 2. All events are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Lazy Hiker Brewing (Franklin) will host Troy Underwood (singer-songwriter) Feb. 24, Tea 4 Three (rock/blues) Feb. 25 and The Colby Deitz Band (Americana/rock) March 4. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. 828.349.2337 or www.lazyhikerbrewing.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will host Fumblebuckers (bluegrass) Feb. 24 and PMA (rock/reggae) Feb. 25. All shows are free and begin at 9:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Satulah Mountain Brewing (Highlands) will host “Hoppy Hour” and an open mic with Jimandi at 5:30 p.m. on Thursdays, “Funky Friday” with Bud Davis at 7 p.m. on Fridays and Isaish Breedlove (Americana) at 7 p.m. on Saturdays. 828.482.9794 or www.satulahmountainbrewing.com.
• Sneak E Squirrel Brewing (Sylva) will host line dancing every Friday at 7 p.m. and contra dancing every other Friday at 8 p.m. Conversation Theory (bluegrass) will play at 8 p.m. Feb. 25. 828.586.6440.
• The Strand at 38 Main (Waynesville) will host an “Open Mic” night from 7 to 9 p.m. on Saturdays. All are welcome. 828.283.0079 or www.38main.com.
• The Ugly Dog Pub (Highlands) will host a weekly Appalachian music night from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Wednesdays with Nitrograss. 828.526.8364 or www.theuglydogpub.com.
• The Water’n Hole Bar & Grill (Waynesville) will Sugar Lime Blue Feb. 24 and A.P.E. (rock/acoustic) Feb. 25. All shows begin at 9 p.m.
• Western Carolina University (Cullowhee) will host Hailey Klinkhammer at 7 p.m. Feb. 23 at UC Illusions. There will be a Community Service Choir Concert 7:30 p.m. Feb. 24, a Trumpet Studio Recital 7:30 p.m. Feb. 27 and Austin Seybert (trombone) 7:30 p.m. Feb. 28 in the Recital Hall of the Coulter Building. There will be a Musical Theatre Senior Recital at 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. Feb. 25 in the Niggli Theatre. The Mountain Winds concert will be at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 28 in the Bardo Arts Center. www.wcu.edu.