On the beatWritten by Admin
Balsam Mountain Inn welcomes Hipkens
The “Songwriters in the Round” series will continue with a “Valentine’s Songwriter” evening featuring Nashville act Henry Hipkens at 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 13, at the Balsam Mountain Inn.
Well-known for his modern standards, Hipkens’ songs have been recorded or performed by Ricky Skaggs, Pam Tillis, Tim O’Brien, Maura O’Connell, Claire Lynch, Robin and Linda Williams, Maryann Price and Trout Fishing in America. He performs regularly at the Bluebird Café in Nashville, and has two albums of his own. Hipkens will also be joined by singer-songwriters Sally Barris and Jim Photoglo.
Tickets are $49, which includes a buffet dinner.
828.456.9498 or www.balsammountaininn.net.
Wind Ensemble’s ‘A Night at the Theater’
The Western Carolina University Wind Ensemble will be performing its first concert of the spring semester at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 12, at the Bardo Arts Center in Cullowhee.
Conductor Margaret Underwood, assistant professor with the WCU School of Music, will be accompanied by guest conductor David Starnes, director of the award-winning Pride of the Mountains Marching Band, along with guest soloist Ian Jeffress, WCU saxophone professor.
Titled, “A Night at the Theater,” the program will feature music that celebrates the stage and movie theater, allowing audience members to engage their most vivid recollection of theatrical works. With pieces from David Biendenbender, Kenneth Hesketh, Alex Shapiro and the noted film saga “Star Wars,” the concert will provide an exciting evening of music.
The WCU Wind Ensemble is an auditioned group of musicians performing a challenging repertory that includes premieres of commissioned works.
www.wcu.edu or 828.227.7242.
Honey Dewdrops at The Strand
Americana act The Honey Dewdrops will perform at 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 19, at The Strand at 38 Main in Waynesville. Laura Wortman and Kagey Parrish share more than most couples. As The Honey Dewdrops, they share stages from venues to festivals across North America; they share one mic and a hunger to pay attention to what endures. The thirst to explore and document is evident in their 2012 release “Silver Lining,” a Top 10 record on national folk and Americana stations. Tickets are $15 in advance, $18 at the door. www.38main.com.
• BearWaters Brewing (Waynesville) will host Taylor Martin (singer-songwriter) at 8 p.m. Feb. 19. www.bwbrewing.com.
• The Canton Armory will host “Winter Pickin’ in the Armory” at 7 p.m. every first and third Friday of the month. The event includes mountain music, vintage country, clogging and dancing. www.cantonnc.com.
• The Canton Public Library will host Possum on a Whale (formerly the JAM Pickers Club) at 3 p.m. Feb. 21. Free. www.haywoodarts.org.
• The Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will have The Blue Ribbon Healers (Americana) at 7 p.m. Feb. 13. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• The Cut Cocktail Lounge (Sylva) will host The 9th Street Stompers (gypsy jazz) at 9 p.m. Feb. 20. 828.631.4795.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will have Karaoke at 7 p.m. Feb. 10 and 17, and a Valentine’s Party 6 p.m. with Bobby Sullivan Trio at 7 p.m. Feb. 12. All shows are free and at 7 p.m. unless otherwise listed. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Heinzelmannchen Brewery (Sylva) will have Henry Wong (singer-songwriter) at 6 p.m. Feb. 11. www.yourgnometownbrewery.com.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night Feb. 10 and 17, and a jazz night with the Kittle/Collings Duo Feb. 11 and 18. There will also be performances by Megan Saunders & The Driftless Feb. 13 and Bird In Hand (Americana) with Rye Baby (Americana) Feb. 20. All events begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• The Jackson County Historic Courthouse (Sylva) will host Jacob, Jessie & Friends (bluegrass/Americana) at 7 p.m. Feb. 11. The event is put on by the Jackson County Genealogical Society. Refreshments will be served at 6:30 p.m. Free. 828.631.2646.
• Lazy Hiker Brewing (Franklin) will host The Remnants (Americana) at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 13. www.lazyhikerbrewing.com.
• Marianna Black Library (Bryson City) will hold community music jam from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 18. Anyone with a guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, dulcimer, anything unplugged, are invited to join. Singers are also welcomed to join in or you can just stop by and listen. Free. 828.488.3030.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will host Carson McHone Band & Jeremy Pinnell Feb. 12, Darrin & The Buttered Toast (soul/funk) Feb. 13, Scott Low & Johnny Monster Band Feb. 19 and The Piss Poor Players Feb. 20. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. www.nonamesportspub.com.
• The Oconaluftee Visitor Center (Cherokee) will host a back porch old-time music jam from 1 to 3 p.m. Feb. 20. All are welcome to come play or simply sit and listen to sounds of Southern Appalachia.
• Sagebrush Steakhouse (Canton) will host Mile High Band (rock) Feb. 16 and Tonology (rock) Feb. 23. All shows begin at 7 p.m. 828.646.3750.
• Salty Dog’s (Maggie Valley) will have Karaoke with Jason Wyatt on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with Mile High (rock) on Wednesdays. All events begin at 8 p.m.
• Satulah Mountain Brewing (Highlands) will host “Hoppy Hour” and an open mic with Jimandi at 5:30 p.m. on Thursdays, “Funky Friday” with Bud Davis at 7 p.m. on Fridays and Isaish Breedlove (Americana) at 7 p.m. on Saturdays. 828.482.9794 or www.satulahmountainbrewing.com.
• Tipping Point Brewing (Waynesville) will host Trippin’ Hardie Feb. 12, an “Anti-Valentine’s Day Party” with ‘Round the Fire (Grateful Dead tribute) at 7 p.m. Feb. 13 and Disco Night with DJ Hurley Feb. 19. All shows are free and at 9 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.tippingpointtavern.com.
• Tuck’s Tap & Grille (Cullowhee) will have College Night with DJ Alex Prince 10 p.m. Feb. 11, Lord Nelson 9 p.m. Feb. 13, College Night with DJ X 10 p.m. Feb. 18 and Log Noggins 9 p.m. Feb. 20. 828.293.4688.
• The Ugly Dog Pub (Highlands) will have Nitrograss (bluegrass) at 7:30 p.m. every Wednesday, The Freeway Revival (rock/jam) Feb. 13 and The Buchanan Boys (rock/country) Feb. 20. All shows begin at 9:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. 828.526.8364 or www.theuglydogpub.com.
• Water’n Hole Bar & Grill (Waynesville) will have 20 Watt Tombstone (blues/rock) Feb. 12, The Piss Poor Players Feb. 19 and The French Broads (rock/jam) Feb. 20. All shows begin at 9 p.m.
• The Waynesville Public Library will host world-class jazz pianist Richard Shulman at 3 p.m. Feb. 20. Free. www.haywoodarts.org.
• Western Carolina University (Cullowhee) will host a Wind Ensemble Concert at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 12 and a Symphony Band Concert at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 22 at the Bardo Arts Center. Pianist Lillian Buss Pearson will also perform at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 18 in the Coulter Building. www.wcu.edu.