On the streetWritten by Admin
Breaking Bread Italian dinner
There will be a special Italian themed evening at 6 p.m. Saturday, June 4, at the Breaking Bread Café in Bethel.
The family style seating will include: salad with house dressing, stuffed shells, chicken marsala, pasta fazooli, calamaria marinara with angel hair pasta, broccoli sauté, canola cake, with sweet or unsweet tea and coffee available.
Seating is limited to 28, with reservations required.
Bryson City celebrates Appalachian heritage
The 22nd annual Swain County Heritage Festival will be May 27-28 at Riverfront Park in Bryson City.
The festival will feature an array of live music, including gospel, country and bluegrass. Dozens of crafters and vendors will be on hand to sell their products, with plenty of activities for children. Friday night entertainment runs from 6 to 9 p.m., with Saturday acts from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The event is free and open to the public.
Join Cataloochee’s ‘Way Back When’ dinner
The “Way Back When” trout dinner will continue at 5:30 p.m. Friday, June 3, at the Cataloochee Ranch in Maggie Valley.
The dinner showcases a recreation meal, music, storytelling and atmosphere of a 1930s Appalachian trout camp. Enjoy a wagon ride across the ranch property amid the authentic re-creation of Mr. Tom and Miss Judy Alexander’s first fishing camp.
Cost is $39.95 per person, plus tax and gratuity. The dinner will also be held June 24, July 15 and 29, Aug. 12 and 26, and Sept. 2 and 16.
To RSVP, call 828.926.1401 or 800.868.1401 or www.cataloocheeranch.com.
• A “BBQ & Brews Dinner Train” will be departing at 7 p.m. Saturday, May 28, at the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad depot in Bryson City. The dinner features slow-cooked barbecue prepared fresh and beer tastings showcasing Nantahala Brewing Company. The train travels to the Fontana Trestle and arrives just around sunset for a spectacular view, then arrives back to the depot at 9 p.m. The event is ages 21 and over. Tickets start at $69. Additional beer will be available for purchase onboard the train. 800.872.4681 or www.gsmr.com.
• The Smoky Mountain Shrine Gem’s annual yard sale will be held all day on June 3 at the Shrine Building on Church Road in Franklin. All proceeds go to the Shrine Hospital. 828.342.7535.
• A bingo night will run at 5:45 p.m. on Thursdays from May 26 through Sept. 1 at the Maggie Valley Pavilion. Cash prizes and concessions by Moonshine Grill. Sponsored by the Maggie Valley Civic Association. 828.926.7630.
• There Sneak E Squirrel Brewery (Sylva) will have a kitchen takeover by gourmet Cajun Chef Kelly Theriot Bye on Saturday, May 28. For more information, call 828.586.6440.
• A wine tasting will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. May 28 and June 4 at Papou’s Wine Shop in Sylva. $5 per person. www.papouswineshop.com or 828.586.6300.
• A free wine tasting will be held from 1 to 5 p.m. May 28 and June 4 at Bosu’s Wine Shop in Waynesville. www.waynesvillewine.com or 828.452.0120.
• A wine tasting will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. May 25 and June 1 at The Classic Wineseller in Waynesville. Free with dinner ($15 minimum). 828.452.6000.