On the beatWritten by Admin
Macon Arts welcomes Harlan Collins
The Arts Council of Macon County will host an evening with acclaimed songwriter and Atlantic and Sony Records recording artist Harlan Collins at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 27, at the Macon County Public Library Meeting Room in Franklin.
Collins, who arranged music for the cult classic film “This Is Spinal Tap,” and has been a musical guest on “Saturday Night Live,” will perform some original songs and share personal insights into the art and business sides of his long career in the music industry.
Among his many credits, Collins has composed for film and TV, and has written/co-written several musicals, including “Highlander: A Celtic Opera,” based on the popular film and TV series, and “My Cuba,” currently in development in Los Angeles.
Admission is by donation, $5 is suggested. Light refreshments will be served.
• Andrews Brewing Company (Andrews) will host Scott Mark (singer-songwriter) April 28 and Marshall Ballew (Americana/folk) April 29. All shows are free and begin at 6 p.m. There will also be an open mic “Jammin’ with Heidi” on Wednesdays from noon to 6 p.m. www.andrewsbrewing.com.
• The Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will host Sheila Gordon (piano/vocals) April 28 and Joe Cruz (piano/pop) April 29. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• Currahee Brewing (Franklin) will host Ryan Sheley (singer-songwriter) April 29 and Bradley Carter (singer-songwriter) May 6. Shows are free and begin at 7:30 p.m. www.curraheebrew.com.
• Derailed Bar & Lounge (Bryson City) will have music at 7 p.m. on Saturdays. 828.488.8898.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will host Darren Nicholson & Caleb Burress (Americana/folk) April 28. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Heinzelmannchen Brewery (Sylva) will have live music and a potluck from 6 to 8 p.m. April 27 and May 4. www.yourgnometownbrewery.com.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night April 26 and May 3, and a jazz night with the Kittle/Collings Duo April 27 and May 4. All events are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Lazy Hiker Brewing (Franklin) will host Rachel Stewart (acoustic) April 28, Northside Gentleman (funk/soul) April 29 and PMA (reggae/rock) album release party May 6. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. 828.349.2337 or www.lazyhikerbrewing.com.
• Nantahala Brewing Company (Bryson City) will host live music on Friday and Saturday evenings. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.nantahalabrewing.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will host Humps & The Blackouts (psychobilly) April 28 and Grandpa’s Cough Medicine (bluegrass) April 29 ($2 cover). All shows are free and begin at 9:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Satulah Mountain Brewing (Highlands) will host “Hoppy Hour” and an open mic with Susan at 6 p.m. on Thursdays and live music on Friday evenings. 828.482.9794 or www.satulahmountainbrewing.com.
• Sneak E Squirrel Brewing (Sylva) will host line dancing every Friday at 7 p.m. and contra dancing every other Friday at 8 p.m. 828.586.6440.
• The Strand at 38 Main (Waynesville) will host legendary singer-songwriter Jim Lauderdale at 7:30 p.m. May 6 (tickets are $25) and an “Open Mic” night from 7 to 9 p.m. on Saturdays. All are welcome. 828.283.0079 or www.38main.com.
• The Water’n Hole Bar & Grill (Waynesville) will host the Local Metal Showcase April 28 and Bender Kills (rock) May 5. All shows begin at 9:30 p.m. 828.456.4750.
• Western Carolina University (Cullowhee) will host Ian Jeffress Faculty Recital 7:30 p.m. April 28, Civic Orchestra 4 p.m. April 30 and Clarinet Studio Recital 7:30 p.m. April 30 in the Recital Hall of the Coulter Building. There will also be a Mountain Winds Concert at 7:30 p.m. May 2 in the Bardo Arts Center. www.wcu.edu.