On the wallWritten by Admin
Recycle your art out!
Five Haywood County Schools will exhibit their new “environmental art” sculptures using recyclable litter as their material. The art classes of Pisgah High, Tuscola High and Bethel, Canton and Waynesville Middle Schools will have their Grand Opening Exhibit at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 1, in the Waynesville Town Hall lobby (the Police Station building) on Main Street.
Everyone is invited to this reception to view this highly novel artwork of the students and to have refreshments. Titled “Recycle your art out,” this artistic display of environmental stewardship is sponsored by the Commission For a Clean County (CCC), Haywood County’s land-based environmental group.
After this initial Grand Opening at the Waynesville Town Hall, the sculptures will be exhibited at the Waynesville Public Library, as well as at locations in Canton, Clyde and Maggie Valley.
• An open call for vendors is currently underway for the craft and home-based business extravaganza to be held Dec. 4-5 at the Whistlestop Mall in Franklin. To reserve a space, call 828.200.2532.
• A daytime art show and brunch will be held at 1 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 29, at The Cut Cocktail Lounge in downtown Sylva.
• The annual “Fireside Sale” will be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 6, at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown. The event showcases fine crafts made by Folk School instructors and other talented artisans. Shoppers can browse for forged iron, jewelry, quilts, turned wood, fiber, photography, and much more. Visit the Folk School’s Craft Shop during the Fireside Sale, and save 15-percent on a great selection of finely made crafts. The Craft Shop will offer these savings from Nov. 27 through Dec. 24. www.folkschool.org or 828.837.2775.
• An artist reception for Kay Smith will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 2, at the Macon County Public Library in Franklin. Her work, the month-long “Blooming Flowers” art exhibit, will feature a collection of 21 vibrant flowers by Smith. Open to the public, with refreshments and a visit with the artist available. www.kaysfineart.com.
• The films “Inside Out” (Nov. 27-28), “Amy” (Dec. 3), “Shaun the Sheep” (Dec. 4) and “Mr. Holmes” (Dec. 5) will be screened at Mad Batter Food & Film in Sylva. Showtimes are 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. Thursday through Saturday, with a 2 p.m. matinee also on Saturday. Free. For a full schedule of dates and times, click on www.madbatterfoodandfilm.com.