Haywood Fair to host farm fresh dinner and mini-marketWritten by Admin
The Haywood County Fair this year will feature a Farm Fresh meal to celebrate agriculture in Western North Carolina at 11 a.m. on August 28.
Along with the Farm Fresh meal, local producers will be selling fresh produce, meat, dairy, and more during a mini farmers market.
“This is a perfect way to showcase locally grown garden items, meat, eggs, and other farm products found right here in Haywood County,” said Aaron Mabry, the fairgrounds director. “It will also give local growers a chance to reach customers who might not otherwise know what they have to offer.”
The chef will be Brad Brendell, executive Chef at Maggie Valley Club and a Bethel native.
Tickets are limited to 200 and will be sold in advance for the full-course meal. $10 for adults, $5 for elementary age children, and pre-schoolers are free. Tickets are available at the Cooperative Extension or the Haywood County Chamber of Commerce. The event is presented by Mission Hospital and sponsors include MedWest, Champion Credit Union, and Wells Fargo.
What’s on the Farm Fresh menu?
• cole slaw
• heirloom tomato and cucumber salad with herbed feta dressing
• a grilled summer vegetable medley containing yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, and bell peppers
• green beans with rosemary
• bacon-wrapped yellow corn with honey chipotle butter
• tea brined and southern fried chicken
• pulled pork with a Carolina gold barbecue sauce.