On the streetWritten by Admin
Woofstock! seeks barbecue participants
The second annual Woofstock! is now seeking applications from participants in its barbeque competition. The fundraiser will be held from 2 to 8 p.m. Saturday, May 3, at McGuire Gardens in Sylva.
Proceeds from the fundraiser will go to benefit ARF, which is the Jackson County Humane Society. The event features a barbeque competition, live blues music, offerings from Innovation Brewing, pet photos and a silent auction.
The barbeque competition will be judged in the following categories: beef, pork, chicken, sauce and a people’s choice best overall. The tasting will be held from 4 to 7 p.m., with awards announced at 7:30 p.m. Participants will provide two-ounce tastes for an estimated 200 attendees and eight judges in any of these categories. There is no charge to participate; entry tickets will be sold and all proceeds will benefit ARF.
Largest Indoor Yard Sale in WNC
The 24th annual Largest Indoor Yard Sale will be from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., April 12, in the Ramsey Center at Western Carolina University.
The yard sale is a fundraiser for the Jackson County Arts Council. All proceeds from the table rentals go to the arts council and are used for grants and programs promoting the arts in the community. Many of the vendors are also nonprofits raising funds to support other worthy community causes.
www.jacksoncountyarts.org or 828.507.9820 or 828.507.9531.
• The Homebrew Competition and Chili Cook-off with Todd Hoke will be held from 3 to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 19, at Frog Level Brewing in Waynesville. Applications available at www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• The 26th annual Dillsboro Easter Hat Parade will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 19 in downtown Dillsboro. An Easter egg hunt will take place at 10 a.m. at Dogwood Crafters. www.mountainlovers.com.
• The Cashiers Easter Egg Hunt will be at 11 a.m., April 19, at the Village Green. Free. www.villagegreencashiersnc.com.
• Come Paint with Charles Kidz Program will be held at 5 p.m., April 10, April 15 and April 17 at the Charles Heath Gallery in Bryson City. Refreshments served as you paint. All materials provided. $18 per child. 828.538.2054.
• The 3rd annual Easter Egg Extravaganza will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. April 19 at the Snow Hill Inn in Franklin. Event will feature Easter egg hunts for various age groups, a photo with the Easter Bunny, games, crafts and prizes. www.franklin-chamber.com.
• The films “In A World” and “The Lorax” will be screened at The Strand at 38 Main in Waynesville. “In A World” will be shown April 11-12, with The Lorax showing April 18-19. Screenings are at 7:45 p.m. on Fridays and 2 p.m., 5 p.m. and 7:45 p.m. on Saturdays. Tickets are $6 per person, $4 for children. 828.283.0079 or www.38main.com.
• The Spring Cornhole Tournament will be held April 18-20 at the Cherokee Welcome Center & Fairgrounds. Blind draw determines teams. Registration at 11 a.m. Bags start flying at noon. www.visitcherokeenc.com.
• The Peanuts Easter Beagle Express Train will run at 11 a.m. April 18-19 at the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad train depot in Bryson City. Classic cartoon characters travel along with families on the ride from Bryson City to Dillsboro along the Tuckasegee River. 800.872.4681.
• The Easter Family Festival will be held April 18-20 at the Fontana Village Resort. Live music, Easter feast and children’s activities. 828.498.2211.
• The Smoky Mountain Oyster & Seafood Festival will be from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 19, at the Maggie Valley Festival Grounds. Festival features shrimp and oysters, as well as steamed and raw clams. Attendees can participate in an oyster eating contest and the mountain shucking championships. Rain or shine. $8 for adults, kids 12 and under free. Live music by Mile High and Al Coffee & Da’ Grind. www.smokymtnoysterfest.com.
• Local Beer! Local Cheese! will be held from 5 to 9 p.m. April 10 at City Lights Café in Sylva. The cafe will host Looking Glass Creamery, Innovation Brewing and Heinzelmannchen Brewery. 828.587.2233 or www.citylightscafe.com or www.mountainlovers.com.
• Handcrafted Beer, Handcrafted Vessels will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. April 11 at It’s By Nature Gallery in Sylva. The gallery will feature a collection of handcrafted mugs and steins along with samples of craft beer from Innovation Brewing and Heinzelmannchen Brewery. www.itsbynature.com or www.mountainlovers.com.
• A Beer Dinner with Innovation Brewing and Heinzelmannchen Brewery will be held at 6:30 p.m. April 15 at City Lights Café in Sylva. 828.587.2233 or www.citylightscafe.com or www.mountainlovers.com.