On the wallWritten by Admin
‘Winter Craft’ series in Bryson City
Crafter/owner of Taylor’s Greenhouse, Karen Taylor, will be the instructor for the “Winter Craft” series at Wild Fern Studios in Bryson City.
• A handmade salves and oil workshop will be held Jan. 31. Class will discuss and demonstrate how to extract and utilize the materials.
• A pressed flowers workshop will be held Feb. 7. Students will learn to harvest, press, preserve and make cards and photo frames for keepsakes.
Each series date runs from 10 a.m. to noon. Class fee is $20.
• “The Boxtrolls” (through Feb. 4) and “Gone Girl” (Feb. 6-18) will be screened at The Strand at 38 Main in Waynesville. Saturday morning cartoons will also be shown at 11 a.m. For screening times, click on www.38main.com or call 828.283.0079.
• A ceramics class will be held 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Feb. 3, 10, 17 and 24 at The Bascom in Highlands. The focus will be on making unique ceramic rattles inspired by modern and ancient ceremonial rattles. Simple hand techniques will also be used in this project. There will also be some carving, coil building and basic bead making. To register, go to www.thebascom.org or call 828.526.4949.
• The animated children’s film “RIO 2” will be screened at 3 and 7 p.m. Jan. 31 at the Colonial Theatre in Canton. The movie will be the first in a new series of screenings at the theatre. Admission is $3.
• The Contemporary Craft Series exhibit featuring the work of Mike Sluder will be on display through Feb. 22 at The Bascom in Highlands. As one of the country’s most notable metal artist, Sluder has made a name for himself creating breathtaking and sophisticated metal art, moving beyond his gritty and industrial beginnings. Sluder’s works have been featured in the Museum of Design, Atlanta, as well as in national and international exhibitions and publications. www.thebascom.org or 828.526.4949.
• The “Come Paint with Charles Kidz Program” will be at 4 p.m. Jan. 29 at the Charles Heath Gallery in Bryson City. $18 per child. Materials and snacks included. 828.538.2054.
• “The Big Lebowski” (Jan. 29), “The Matrix” (Jan. 30) and “The Book of Life” (Jan. 31) will be screened at the Mad Batter Food & Film in Sylva. Screenings are free and begin at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.madbatterfoodandfilm.com.