HCC to compete in lumberjack competition at Cradle of ForestryWritten by Admin
Lumberjacks — and lumberjills — will chop, saw and axe their way to the finish line during the Intercollegiate Woodsmen’s Meet held at the Cradle of Forestry on Saturday, Oct. 2.
Competitions include axe throw, cross cut saw, pole climb, axe chop, and log rolling. Woodsmen will also battle to see who can start a fire and bring a pot of water to a boil first. There are also chainsaw and archery contests.
Haywood Community College Woodsmen’s Team is the host of the competition. There will be four other colleges in the meet, including N.C. State University, Penn State and Virginia Tech. STIHL is the sponsor of the competition.
The Cradle of Forestry is located four miles south of Blue Ridge Parkway on U.S. 276 in the Pisgah National Forest. $6 for adults; $3 for youth 15 and under. 828.877.3130 or www.cradleofforestry.org.
Latest from Admin
- Area agency, citizens honored by Haywood Waterways
- Ramos selected as acting superintendent of the Smokies
- Environmental groups push forest service to scale back logging below Devil’s Courthouse
- ‘EPIC’: First-ever rail jam at Cataloochee attracts 50 competitors
- Cataloochee documentary to be screened at HCC