On the beatWritten by Admin
Music faculty showcase at WCU
A Faculty Showcase Recital will be held at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 27, in the Coulter Building at Western Carolina University.
The evening will offer audience members the chance to hear a wide variety of performances by many faculty members from WCU’s School of Music.
The concert will include a performance of Mario Gaetano’s composition “Circles” with Gaetano on marimba and Andrew King and Daniel Myers on percussion; Paul Pierne’s “Bucolique Variee” performed by Alicia Chapman on oboe, Shannon Thompson on clarinet and Will Peebles on bassoon; a movement titled “Allemande” from Jean Sebastien Bach’s Sixth Suite for Unaccompanied Cello performed by Brad Ulrich on flugelhorn; James Naigus’ “River Lullaby” interpreted by Zsolt Szabo on trombone, Travis Bennett on horn and Lyn Burkett on piano; and “Monster Studies,” a modern composition by Girard Kratz, performed by Ian Jeffres on saxophone and Lillian Pearson on piano.
Café String Quartet to play Franklin
The Café String Quartet will perform at 7 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 31, at the Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts in Franklin.
Their music includes classics by Beethoven, Gershwin, Bach and many other notable composers, but they also throw in an eclectic mix of fan favorites that keeps things exciting. Each quartet member draws from a rich professional history of training and study as well as eclectic performance experiences. Enjoy an evening of classical, pop, jazz, Broadway and more as the group brings their unique perspective of performance and storytelling in a salute to love songs.
Tickets cost $14.
www.greatmountainmusic.com or 866.273.4615.
• BearWaters Brewing (Waynesville) will have The Get Right Band (funk/soul) on Jan. 23 and Max Gross Weight Jan. 30. Both shows begin at 7 p.m. www.bwbrewing.com or 828.246.0602.
• City Lights Café (Sylva) will have The Neidlingers (singer-songwriter) on Jan. 23 and Joseph Catanese (singer-songwriter) Jan. 31. Both shows begin at 7 p.m. www.citylightscafe.com.
• Classic Wine Seller (Waynesville) will have Kevin Lorenz (guitarist) Jan. 23, Joe Cruz (piano/pop) Jan. 24 and 31, and James Hammel (jazz/pop) Jan. 30. All shows begin at 7 p.m. $10 minimum purchase. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will have Craig Summers & Lee Kram at 6 p.m. Jan. 22 and 29, and Through the Hills (Americana/folk) at 7 p.m. Jan. 23. Free. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night on Jan. 21 and 28, a jazz night Jan. 22 and 29, and The Liz Nance Trio Jan. 24. All events begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Mad Batter Food & Film will have Painted Giants and The Breedlove Brothers Jan. 23 and Darren & the Buttered Toast and Lyric Jan. 24. All shows cost $2 and begin at 9 p.m. www.madbatterfoodandfilm.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will have Mangus Colorado (bluegrass/Americana) on Jan. 24 and Porch 40 (funk/rock) Jan. 29. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. 828.586.2750 or www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Rathskeller Coffee Haus and Pub (Franklin) will have Gary Carter on Jan. 24, John Phillip Brooks Jan. 30 and Nick Prestia Jan. 31. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.rathskellerfranklin.com or 828.369.6796.
• Tipping Point Brewing (Waynesville) will have Dave Desmelik (singer-songwriter) at 9 p.m. Jan. 30. Free.
• Western Carolina University (Cullowhee) will present the Sheila Jordan Jazz Vocal Recital on Jan. 23 and Alex Shlifer (violin) Jan. 26. Both performances are at 7:30 p.m. and will be held in the Coulter Building. www.wcu.edu.