On the streetWritten by Admin
Haywood flipping for pancakes
The annual “Pancake Day” will be taking place from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 28, at the First United Methodist Church in Waynesville.
They will be serving unlimited buttermilk/buckwheat pancakes alongside prize-winning sausage, bacon and freshly brewed coffee.
Tickets are available in the church office, on Sunday morning or from a church member. They can also be purchased at the door. Business sponsorships are available.
Waynesville historical speakers series
The Town of Waynesville Historic Preservation Commission will host a series of speakers to inform the public on the rich and fascinating stories behind some of the historic places within the community.
The goal of “Haywood Ramblings” is to entertain and inform all ages on some of the interesting aspects of Waynesville’s long history. Talks will be held at 4 p.m. in the Town Hall Board Room.
• “William Holland Thomas” by Gavin Brown on March 2.
• “Country Roads: Pathways to Our Artistic Heritage” by Libba Feichter on April 6.
• “Local history and The National Register” by a panel of local historians on May 4.
For more information contact the Town’s Development Services Department at 828.456.8647.
• The Balsam Mountain Inn will host a “Valentine’s Package” through Feb. 28. Add a candlelit dinner for two, fresh flowers, champagne, souvenir flutes and freshly baked cookies for an additional $125 to the room rate. To reserve, 800.224.9498.
• A free wine tasting will be held from 1 to 5 p.m. Feb. 25 and March 4 at Bosu’s Wine Shop in Waynesville. There will also be a Spanish wine dinner with Chef Jackie Blevins at 7 p.m. Feb. 23 ($70 per person, three courses and three wines) and a “pop-in” small plate and wine evening from 5 to 8 p.m. Feb. 24. The “Best Wines You’ve Never Heard Of” will be at 7 p.m. March 2 ($20, which includes more than five wines, with a bread and cheese pairing). www.waynesvillewine.com or 828.452.0120.
• A wine tasting will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. Feb. 25 and March 4 at Papou’s Wine Shop in Sylva. $5 per person. www.papouswineshop.com or 828.586.6300.
• The Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will host a wine tasting on Wednesdays and a craft beer tasting on Thursdays. Both events run from 4 to 8 p.m. There will also be tapas from 2 to 5 p.m. on Saturdays. www.classicwineseller.com.
• Free cooking demonstrations will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Saturdays at Country Traditions in Dillsboro. Watch the demonstrations, eat samples and taste house wines for $3 a glass. All recipes posted online. www.countrytraditionsnc.com.