Haywood Community College will celebrate National Entrepreneurship Week Feb. 16-23 with a week-long schedule of events.
The events will allow HCC to highlight the college’s strengths in the areas of entrepreneurship, sustainability and creativity.
The following events are planned:
• Monday, Feb. 18: “I Have a Great Idea” student entrepreneur contest. Students may submit a “Great Idea” for a new business concept or invention. Submissions will be in the form of a three-minute or less YouTube video. Prizes are $100 for first place, $50 for second place, and $25 for third place.
Online submission can be entered at www.entrepreneurshipathcc.blogspot.com and are due by midnight on Feb. 18.
• Tuesday, Feb. 19: Marketing Your Business on Facebook. This workshop is for businesses that are already using a business Facebook page and want to learn how to use it more effectively for marketing the business. Space is limited. Contact Sharron Donnahoe, HCC Small Business Center Director, at 828.627.4512. 6-8 p.m. in HCC Room 219. Open to the public.
• Wednesday, Feb. 20: “Meet Local Business Owners” game show and Amanda Sorrells of New Generation. Local business owners will share, in a game show format, their biggest challenges, tips for success, and advice to new entrepreneurs. 10 a.m.-noon in the Student Center Auditorium. Open to the public.
• Thursday, Feb. 21: Showcase for Student Entrepreneurs. Two categories of participation include product/service or craft. HCC students will pitch their ideas to win money to help start their venture. 10 a.m.-1 p.m. in the HCC Library. Open to the public.
• Thursday, Feb. 21: Salon ownership forum. Local entrepreneurs from the cosmetics industry will be panelists and share their years of experience and answer questions about the industry and their professional success. 3-4 p.m., Student Center Auditorium.
For more information about HCC’s Entrepreneurship Week activities, contact Dr. Michelle Choate, HCC Department Chair of Business and Entrepreneurship, at 828.565.4219.