Tuckasegee to receive 19,600 trout this fallWritten by Admin
- font size decrease font size increase font size
The delayed harvest section of the Tuckasegee River in Jackson County, one of 15 spots on the Western North Carolina Fly Fishing Trail, will receive an infusion of 19,600 trout this fall. The stocking will be conducted by the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission in two segments — 9,800 trout the first week of October and another 9,800 trout the first week of November.
Brook and rainbow trout will account for 80 percent of the fish placed in the river, with brown trout making up the remaining 20 percent. Anglers are allowed to fish the delayed harvest section of the Tuckasegee River year-round. However, any fish caught between Oct. 1 and the first Saturday in June must be released immediately. The delayed harvest section of the river runs from the N.C. 107 bridge in the Lovesfield community to Dillsboro.
Boat access to the delayed harvest section of the Tuck has also been improved. A new boat ramp recently opened in Dillsboro, while a second one is set to open later this year off Old Cullowhee Highway, just upstream from the N.C. 107 bridge.
Other good autumn places to fish along the WNC Fly Fishing Trail are: Scott Creek, Panthertown Creek, Savannah Creek and the Chattooga River. Scott Creek, which flows through Sylva and Dillsboro, was stocked with 1,500 trout in July and additional 1,500 trout in August.
800.962.1911 or www.FlyFishingTrail.com