‘Life and Times of D.K. Collins’
Mary Wachacha will be presenting “The Life and Times of D. K. Collins” at the next meeting of the Swain County Genealogical and Historical Society at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, March 1, at the Swain County Regional Business Education & Training Center in Bryson City.
D.K. Collins (1844-1924) was known as a businessman in Bryson City. But, he was a man of many talents who served in the Confederate Army, was the permanent chairman of the Democrat Party in Swain County and served at least one term as mayor. He grew up in Smokemont and in addition to his store in Bryson City, he also had a business in Yellow Hill.
Wachacha will be presenting the research that she has gathered that tells D.K.’s life story, especially his life on the Cherokee Reservation.
Wachacha continues to research the history and people who lived in this area in the 1700s and 1800s. Her roots are deeply embedded in the area and her family has been in Cherokee long before any of us can remember. In 2013, she retired after 40 years of work with the federal government having served as Division Director of Indian Health Services at IHS headquarters. She has traveled extensively with her work as well as for pleasure.
Written directions are on the Swain County Genealogy website www.swaingenealogy.com. Conversation and refreshments will follow the presentation. This is free and open to the public.
Women of Waynesville open house
Women of Waynesville (WOW) will hold an open house event from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, March 1, at Room 1902 on South Main Street in Waynesville.
The open house is an opportunity for women in Haywood County to find out more about the organization and become members. WOW is an all-volunteer organization that supports the needs of women and children in Haywood County. The meet and greet will include wine, food, an icebreaker scavenger hunt, and a presentation from WOW President Jessi Stone.
All are welcome. For more information, visit www.womenofwaynesville.org, follow WOW on Facebook or call 828.550.9978.
• The Cut Cocktail Lounge (Sylva) will host the Edward Gorey Birthday Celebration Feb. 22.
• “Laughing Balsam Sangha,” a meeting for Mindfullness in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh, meets will meet from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. on Mondays at 318 Skyland Drive in Sylva. Included are sitting and walking meditation, and Dharma discussion. Free admission. For more information, call 828.335.8210, and “Like” them on Facebook.
• There will be a free wine tasting from 1 to 5 p.m. Feb. 24 and March 3 at Bosu’s Wine Shop in Waynesville. www.waynesvillewine.com or 828.452.0120.
• A free wine tasting will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. Feb. 24 and March 3 at Papou’s Wine Shop in Sylva. www.papouswineshop.com or 828.631.3075.
• Free cooking demonstrations will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Saturdays at Country Traditions in Dillsboro. Watch the demonstrations, eat samples and taste house wines for $3 a glass. All recipes posted online. www.countrytraditionsnc.com.