On the beatWritten by Admin
Balsam Range welcomes Jeff Little Trio
Renowned bluegrass group Balsam Range’s “Winter Concert Series” will continue with the Jeff Little Trio at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 3, at the Colonial Theatre in Canton.
Balsam Range, winner of the 2014 International Bluegrass Music Association award for “Entertainer of the Year,” will perform, with Little opening the show. Much influenced by mountain flat-pick guitar tradition, Little’s style is breathtaking in its speed, precision and clarity. He is conversant with traditional jazz, old-time, country, bluegrass, rockabilly and blues.
“We try to get our own musical heroes and influences to the shows,” said Balsam Range mandolinist Darren Nicholson. “We want our hometown folks to enjoy the artists that we admire and who inspire us. Plus, these are guest artists who don’t get to play in this area very often.”
The Balsam Range Winter Concert Series is sponsored by Amy Spivey of ERA Sunburst Realty, The Waynesville Inn Golf Resort & Spa, and Smoky Mountain Roasters Coffee.
Tickets are $22.
828.235.2760 or www.balsamnation.com.
• Balsam Mountain Inn will host a New Year’s Eve “Songwriters in the Round” at 6 p.m. Dec. 31. Performers include Marshall Chapman, Thom Bresh, Casey Kelly and Leslie Ellis. Tickets are $85 per person, which includes a buffet dinner and New Year’s celebration. 828.456.9498.
• BearWaters Brewing (Waynesville) will have Josh Wager (singer-songwriter) Dec. 26 and The Robinsons Dec. 27. All shows begin at 7 p.m. www.bwbrewing.com or 828.246.0602.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will have Craig Summers & Lee Kram at 6 p.m. Dec. 25 and Jan. 1. Free. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have the Kittle/Collings Duo (jazz) on Dec. 25, The Brad Boulet & Friends Holiday Show (bluegrass/Americana) Dec. 26 and Sam Stringfield (piano/singer-songwriter) Dec. 27. All shows are free and start at 8 p.m. There will also be a New Year’s Eve Bash with PMA (rock) on Dec. 31. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Mad Batter Food & Film (Sylva) will host a New Year’s Gala with Local and The River Rats (blues/rock) on Dec. 31. For tickets, call 828.586.3555. www.madbatterfoodandfilm.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will have If Birds Could Fly (Americana) at 9 p.m. Dec. 27 and an Open Mic Night with Darren Curtis Dec. 30. Free. There will also be a special New Year’s Eve celebration on Dec. 31. 828.586.2750 or www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Tipping Point Brewing (Waynesville) will have Ashli Rose (singer-songwriter) on Dec. 26, Porch 40 Lite (funk/rock) on Dec. 27, DJ Shane Dec. 31 and ‘Round The Fire (Grateful Dead tribute) at 8:30 p.m. Jan. 2. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
• Water’n Hole Bar & Grill (Waynesville) will have Humps & The Blackouts (psychobilly/rock) at 9 p.m. Dec. 31. $5 pre-ticket, $7 at the door.