Program offers inspirational look at being a foster parentWritten by Admin
A performance and program on the role of foster parents titled “Ellen Foster and Friends: A Look at Foster Care,” will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday, March 3, in the auditorium of the Haywood County Public Library in Waynesville.
The event will begin with local actor Barbara Bates Smith performing excerpts from “Ellen Foster,” her stage version of the prize-winning novel by Kaye Gibbons, which details the journey of Ellen, a spunky girl working to overcome abuse.
There will be a panel discussion on foster care featuring Ira Dove, Haywood County Department of Social Services director; Dr. Steve Wall, with Haywood Pediatrics; Tara Keilberg, Director of the Kids Advocacy Resource Effort; Scott MacGregor, a Certified Family Life Educator; and Pablo and Maria Averza, therapeutic foster parents.
“A Look at Foster Care” is hosted by Appalachian Community Services and the Haywood County Public Library. The Friends of the Library will provide refreshments.
Appalachian Community Services trains and supports foster parents in the area.
828.454.1098, ext. 2908 or www.acswnc.com.
Latest from Admin
- Area agency, citizens honored by Haywood Waterways
- Ramos selected as acting superintendent of the Smokies
- Environmental groups push forest service to scale back logging below Devil’s Courthouse
- ‘EPIC’: First-ever rail jam at Cataloochee attracts 50 competitors
- Cataloochee documentary to be screened at HCC