Franklin now has AT “ambassador”Written by Admin
Mary Bennett has been chosen to serve as the volunteer ambassador for the designated Appalachian Trail Community of Franklin.
Bennett will serve as a community liaison to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and the local volunteer hiking club that maintains in the A.T. in and around Franklin. She’s charged with bolstering volunteerism and stewardship of the trail at the local level.
“The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is excited about building off its volunteer base … (to) help increase local stewardship of public lands and support healthy lifestyles for community citizens,” said Julie Judkins, community program manager.
Bennett has lived in the Franklin community for nearly 20 years. She is an educator, horticulturalist and hiker; she has section hiked much of the A.T.
Latest from Admin
- Area agency, citizens honored by Haywood Waterways
- Ramos selected as acting superintendent of the Smokies
- Environmental groups push forest service to scale back logging below Devil’s Courthouse
- ‘EPIC’: First-ever rail jam at Cataloochee attracts 50 competitors
- Cataloochee documentary to be screened at HCC