‘Memories’ with Barbara Bates SmithWritten by Admin
Actress Barbara Bates Smith will perform her adaptation of the Lee Smith short story, “The Happy Memories Club,” at 2 p.m., Jan. 9, at the Haywood County Recreation and Parks building.
Following the performance, Dr. Lisa Verges will facilitate a discussion on the importance of knowing and sharing our own stories. The program is free and open to the public.
Smith is an actress who tours with a number of one-woman shows and has played at Haywood Arts Regional Theatre in “Wit, “Doubt,” “Hamlet” and “Three Tall Women.” Verges is a geriatric psychiatrist.
“The Happy Memories Club” features a retirement center resident about to be kicked out of her writing club.
The story recently provided a model for a series of “Our Own Stories” workshops led by Smith. Another such series is pending as a follow-up in partnership with the recently opened BrainGym program series. The address of the center for the one-hour program is 81 Elmwood Way in Waynesville.
Latest from Admin
- Area agency, citizens honored by Haywood Waterways
- Ramos selected as acting superintendent of the Smokies
- Environmental groups push forest service to scale back logging below Devil’s Courthouse
- ‘EPIC’: First-ever rail jam at Cataloochee attracts 50 competitors
- Cataloochee documentary to be screened at HCC