Suffer crop losses? Farmers can get help

Sign-up for 2010 crop-year losses begins Monday, Nov. 14, through your local USDA Farm Service Agency.

“Producers across North Carolina experienced natural disasters during the 2010 crop year, causing hardship and financial losses to their agricultural operations,” said Becky Williamson, executive director of the federal farm agency for Jackson/Macon counties. “The SURE program provides assistance when disaster strikes.”

To qualify for a Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments payment, a producer’s operation must be located in a county declared as a disaster for 2010, and have at least a 10-percent production loss affecting one crop of economic significance. Producers with agricultural operations located outside a disaster county are eligible for SURE benefits if they had a production loss greater or equal to 50 percent of the normal production on the farm.

38 North Carolina counties received a 2010 disaster designation.  

Swain and Jackson County producers wanting information on program eligibility requirements can contact the Swain/Jackson County FSA office at 50 Main Street Federal Building in Bryson City, or call 828.488.2684 ext. 2, or visit

Go to top