New biography reveals insight into life of early Smokies writerWritten by Admin
Author George Ellison will be conducting a book signing at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center in Great Smoky Mountains National Park on Wednesday, Oct. 26, and Saturday, Nov. 5, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Ellison is the co-author of the introduction to the new edition of Camping and Woodcraft just published by Great Smoky Mountains Association. The 80-page introduction contains considerable new material about Horace Kephart’s unusual life and the importance of one of the most popular outdoors books ever published. Kephart lived in the wilderness of the Smoky Mountains in the early 1900s and was a famed conservationist, writer and anthropologist of Southern Appalachian lifeways.
Ellison will also do a reading at 2 p.m. Nov. 19 at City Lights book store in Sylva.
Latest from Admin
- Area agency, citizens honored by Haywood Waterways
- Ramos selected as acting superintendent of the Smokies
- Environmental groups push forest service to scale back logging below Devil’s Courthouse
- ‘EPIC’: First-ever rail jam at Cataloochee attracts 50 competitors
- Cataloochee documentary to be screened at HCC