Bear activity increases in national forestWritten by Admin
- font size decrease font size increase font size
The U.S. Forest Service is warning hikers and campers that there has been an increase in black bear encounters in the vicinity of Graveyard Fields on the Pisgah Ranger District.
There have also been reports of increased bear activity around North Mills River and Wash Creek areas. Although none of these areas are currently closed, forest users are encouraged to use caution and follow bear-safety practices when in the forest.
Suggested practices include:
• Keeping a clean camp site by properly disposing of food scraps and garbage.
• Not leaving food or coolers unattended.
• Never storing food in a tent.
• Staying away from any black bears spotted in the area.