Healthy Haywood will kick off its annual fitness challenge beginning March 14.
Registration is $10. Participants can attend a variety of fitness classes offered by local fitness centers and businesses. Participants are free to choose which classes to attend over the eight-week period.
Registration for the 2011 Fitness Challenge is March 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18. All registration days take place at the following locations and times:
• Urban Athletics on Monday, March 14 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Haywood Regional Health and Fitness Center Tuesday, March 15 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Waynesville Recreation Center Wednesday, March 16 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
• Cooperative Extension, Thursday, March 17 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• The Fitness Connection Friday, March 18 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The event kick-off is Tuesday, March 22 at the Waynesville Recreation Center from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., with chances to win gym memberships and restaurant gift certificates.
The mid-point event, Healthy Taste of Haywood, will take place April 19 at the Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center’s Harrell Center. Participants will learn how to make healthy dining choices and will taste healthy options from several local vendors such as Coffee Cup Café, Blue Rooster Southern Grill, Connie’s Kitchen, Bi-Lo Grocery, Smoky Mountain Café, Blue Ridge Books, Panacea, Food Lion, Kaninis, Nico’s Café, J. Arthurs, Los Amigos, The Patio, and Bocellis Italian Eatery.
The grand finale event will be May 11 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Canton Armory.