Immigrants can enrich all of usWritten by Admin
To the Editor:
Scott McLeod writes accurately and with emotion about the Dream Act (“Hagen, senate wrong on Dream Act,” Dec. 22, Smoky Mountain News). Its passage would not have weakened our borders.
The immigrant youth affected by the “no” vote are likely to continue living here; many could understandably become sullen and resentful of opportunity denied. They might have enriched us with their energy and their friendships. This must be an especial discouragement to the high school teachers who nourish their development.
Latest from Admin
- Area agency, citizens honored by Haywood Waterways
- Ramos selected as acting superintendent of the Smokies
- Environmental groups push forest service to scale back logging below Devil’s Courthouse
- ‘EPIC’: First-ever rail jam at Cataloochee attracts 50 competitors
- Cataloochee documentary to be screened at HCC