Summer nature programs kickoff in HighlandsWritten by Admin
Regular weekday programs will begin at Highlands Nature Center next week. The programs include guided plant walks, children’s activities, storybook-based nature lessons and animal programs.
• Monday from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.: Guided, themed walks along the Highlands Botanical Garden trails to learn more about the native flowers and plants of the southern Appalachians, including plant names, wildflowers and their pollinators, historically significant plants, carnivorous plants, deadly plants, and how to use native plants in your home garden. Free.
• Tuesdays from 3 to 4 p.m.: Family nature activities for ages 4 and older, including critter searches, discovery walks, nature studies and games, or crafts. $1 per person.
• Wednesdays from 2:30 to 3 p.m.: Storybook Science features a kids’ nature lesson based around a children’s storybook. Free.
• Fridays from 11 to 11:30 a.m.: Observe what each of the Nature Center’s animals eat and learn how they feed. Free.
• Saturdays from 11:30 a.m. to noon: Learn more about one of the Nature Center’s live animals up close through our Featured Creature program. Free.
www.highlandsbiological.org or 828.526.2623.