News for runnersWritten by Admin
Run for cystic fibrosis research
A 5K to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and Otto Community Development will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 18, at the Otto Community Center.
The Go Tell it On the Mountain 5K Run/Walk and 1-Mile Walk will ascend a 260-foot elevation change from start to finish.
$30 pre-registration at www.active.com. 828.342.5047.
Race into springtime
Running season is warming up along with the weather, and the coming month will feature a full menu of opportunities to stretch your legs. Sign up for one (or more!) of these local races to get the endorphins flowing.
• The Feeding America 5K Walk/Run will raise money for the nonprofit Feeding America 9-11 a.m. Saturday, March 18, at Western Carolina University. Runners can begin this noncompetitive 5K at any point during the two-hour window, with stopwatches available to keep time. Every $1 raised translates into 11 meals for people suffering from hunger in the United States. $15. Organized by the WCU Student Association of Nutrition and Dietetics and the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity. Register at www.active.com.
• The Mountaineer 2-Miler will step off at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 18, at Waynesville Middle School to raise money for supplies, materials and technology at the school. The only 2-mile run in the area, the race begins and ends at WMS campus and sticks to road running. $25 through March 4. Organized by the WMS PTA. www.runsignup.com.
• The Assault on Blackrock will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday, March 18, at Pinnacle Park in Sylva. The grueling 7-mile trail race involves 2,770 feet of elevation gain and will raise money for the Clean Slate Coalition, a Sylva nonprofit that helps women in need rebuild their lives. $25 pre-registration. www.raceentry.com.
• The Macon Your Heart Beat 5K and 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk will begin at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, March 25, at Angel Medical Center in Franklin. Proceeds will benefit the hospital’s cardiac rehab department. $15-$35. www.active.com.
• The Valley of the Lilies Half Marathon and 5K will begin at 8 a.m. Saturday, April 1, at Western Carolina University. It’s a scenic course, with the half marathon route winding through campus and along the Tuckasegee River. Proceeds will help WCU students with expenses associated with professional presentations and conference travel. Prices through March 5 are $40 for the half marathon and $20 for the 5K. Hosted by the School of Health Sciences and the Department of Campus Recreation and Wellness. www.active.com.
• The South Macon Wildcats ROARING! 5K Run/Walk will take off at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, April 1, at South Macon Elementary School in Franklin. Proceeds will benefit the school’s parent-teacher organization. $20. www.active.com.