Weakened slope laws could prompt lawsuitsWritten by Admin
- font size decrease font size increase font size
To the Editor:
This is an open letter to the Jackson County Planning Board and county commissioners. Things to consider:
• We have an existing steep slope ordinance.
• Mudslides are not covered by insurance in N.C.
• Changes being considered to make the present ordinance more “user friendly” could weaken it.
• Finally, we live in an increasingly litigious society.
If someone loses his/her home to a mudslide in Jackson County that might not have occurred except for a weakened steep slope ordinance, will our county tax dollars be used to defend present planning board members and county commissioners, or will these individuals be responsible for their own defense? This issue has become even more personal to me as I pay thousands of dollars to clean up a mudslide on my property that is not covered by homeowner’s insurance.
Craig N. Green