On the beatWritten by Admin
Stecoah returns with ‘Harvest Festival’
The Harvest Festival will take place Oct. 16-18 at the Stecoah Valley Cultural Arts Center in Robbinsville.
The free weekend event begins with from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday with a campfire and storytelling. From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday there will be live music throughout the day, which includes The Stecoah JAM Kids, The Jones Girls, Larry & Blue, The Welch Family, Dixie Cloggers, The Jones Boys, and more. The Cleverlys (bluegrass/comedy) will perform at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, with tickets $25 for adults, $10 for children grades K-12. From 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, there will be performances by various gospel groups.
Community dance in Sylva
A community dance will be held at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 11, in the Community Room at the Jackson County Public Library in Sylva.
Dancing will include circle and square dances as well as contra dances. All dances will be taught and walked through before dancing. No previous experience is necessary and no partner is required.
AnneMarie Walter will call the dance to the live music of Out of the Woodwork, a band made up on local musicians. The group invites anyone who plays an instrument to sit in with the band, to jam and learn how to play music for dancing. There will also be a potluck dinner following the dance at 5 p.m. Please bring a covered dish, plate, cup, cutlery and a water bottle.
Admission is a suggested donation of $5.
‘Fall for Jazz’ returns to Classic Wineseller
The “Fall for Jazz” series will kickoff with The Russ Wilson Trio at 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 10, at The Classic Wineseller in Waynesville.
Known as the “Mouth of the South,” Wilson is one of the most renowned jazz, swing and gypsy jazz singers in Southern Appalachia. The series will continue with Sidney Barnes & Richard Shulman on Oct. 17 and The 9th Street Stompers Oct. 24.
Tickets are $44.99 per person, which includes a four-course dinner.
828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• BearWaters Brewing Company (Waynesville) will have Taylor Martin’s Engine (Americana) 8 p.m. Oct. 9, Somebody’s Child (Americana) 6 p.m. Oct. 10, Darren Nicholson Band (Americana/bluegrass) 6 p.m. Oct. 13, My Brother The Bear (singer-songwriter) 7 p.m. Oct. 16 and Hustle Souls 8 p.m. Oct. 17. www.bwbrewing.com.
• The Bryson City Train Depot “Music in the Mountains” concert series will have Donna Hughes Oct. 10 and The Josh Fields Band Oct. 17. All shows are free and begin at 6:30 p.m. www.greatsmokies.com.
• Canton Public Library will host the Cruso Circle Play & Jam at 3 p.m. Oct. 18. Members of the group play mandolin, guitar, drums, bass and slide guitar. Free.
• The Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will have Joe Cruz (piano/pop) Oct. 9 and The Flea Bitten Dogs (Americana/pop) Oct. 16. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• The Historic Cowee School will host Tellico (Americana/bluegrass) at 7 p.m. Oct. 17. $10 per person. www.coweeschool.org.
• Friday Night Live (Highlands) summer concert series will have The Johnny Webb Band Oct. 9 and Mountain Dulcimer Group Oct. 16. All shows are free and begin at 6 p.m. www.highlandschamber.org.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will have Sea Notes (bluegrass) 7 p.m. Oct. 10 and Porch 40 (funk/rock) 8 p.m. Oct. 17. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night Oct. 7 and 14, a jazz night with the Kittle/Collings Duo Oct. 8 and 15. All events begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Lazy Hiker Brewing (Franklin) will host an Oktoberfest with Barry Bryson & Emporium Band at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 10. Tickets are $50, which includes authentic German food, two pints of craft beer and two glasses of wine. All proceeds to benefit the Angel Medical Cancer Care Center. Other performances include Zorki on Oct. 16 and Chalwa Oct. 17. www.lazyhikerbrewing.com.
• Mad Anthony’s Bottle Shop & Beer Garden (Waynesville) will have Tonology (hard rock/metal) Oct. 9 and Heidi Holton (Americana/blues) Oct. 16. All events begin at 9 p.m.
• Marianna Black Library (Bryson City) will hold community music jam from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 15. Anyone with a guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, dulcimer, anything unplugged, are invited to join. Singers are also welcomed to join in or you can just stop by and listen. Free. 828.488.3030.
• Nantahala Brewing Company (Bryson City) will have Stolen Rhodes (rock) Oct. 9 and The DuPont Brothers (Americana/folk) Oct. 16. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.nantahalabrewing.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will have 9 Day Trip Oct. 9, Russ T. Nutz (outlaw country) Oct. 10, Lorin Walking Madsen & Randall Conrad Olinger Oct. 16, If Birds Could Fly Oct. 17 and The Hooten Hallers (hard rock/blues) Oct. 19. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. 828.586.2750 or www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Oconaluftee Visitors Center (Cherokee) will have an old-time music jam from 1 to 3 p.m. Oct. 17. All skill levels welcomed.
• O’Malley’s Pub & Grill (Sylva) will have Colby Deitz of Mangas Colorado (Americana/bluegrass) Oct. 9 and Jesse Stephens & Ben Morgan Oct. 16. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. 828.631.0554.
• Outdoor 76 (Franklin) will host their Fall Celebration on Oct. 10. A trail race kicks off at 8 a.m., with a chili cook off at noon, followed by live music with Soldier’s Heart (1 p.m.), Andrew Scotchie & The River Rats (4 p.m.) and Brushfire Stankgrass (7 p.m.). There will also be a craft beer tasting from 2 to 7 p.m.
• The Pickin’ on the Square (Franklin) summer concert series will have Curtis Blackwell (bluegrass) Oct. 10 and Ms. Kitty & The Big City Band (variety) Oct. 17. Both shows begin at 7:30 p.m. An open mic starts at 6:30 p.m. Free. www.franklinnc.com.
• The Rickman Store (Cowee) will host a brunch and bluegrass at 11:30 a.m. Oct. 10. All musicians invited to attend, perform and/or listen.
• The Strand at 38 Main (Waynesville) will have Bill Leslie & Lorica (Celtic/folk) at 4 p.m. Oct. 11. Tickets are $30 for adults, $25 for students, military and seniors, and $15 for ages 12 and under. www.38main.com.
• Tipping Point Brewing (Waynesville) will have James Stambaugh (singer-songwriter) Oct. 9 and Dave Desmelik (singer-songwriter) Oct. 16. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m.
• The Water’n Hole Bar & Grill (Waynesville) will have SmokeRise (rock) Oct. 10, Grand Ol’ Uproar Oct. 16 and Abbie Morin (Americana/jazz) Oct. 17. All shows begin at 9 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
• Waynesville Public Library will host Betina Morgan & The Wabi Sabi Singers (folk/harp) at 3 p.m. Oct. 17. Free.