Holquist and Civic Orchestra to perform Jan. 29Written by Admin
- Area agency, citizens honored by Haywood Waterways
- Ramos selected as acting superintendent of the Smokies
- Environmental groups push forest service to scale back logging below Devil’s Courthouse
- ‘EPIC’: First-ever rail jam at Cataloochee attracts 50 competitors
- Cataloochee documentary to be screened at HCC
Dr. Robert Holquist will solo with the Western Carolina Civic Orchestra at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 29, in the WCU Coulter Recital Hall.
Holquist, a bass-baritone, will sing the arias from “Alexander’s Feast,” an oratorio by Handel and Mozart’s opera Marriage of Figaro, as well as “Some Enchanted Evening” from South Pacific by Rodgers and Hammerstein.
Dr. Holquist has taught voice and choral music at WCU for more than 30 years, along with being a music minister to the community.
The Civic Orchestra will perform selections from Brahms, Haydn, Elgar and John Philips Sousa.
The orchestra, conducted by William Henigbaum, is a regional community orchestra with student and faculty musicians from WCU, and students and adult musicians from Jackson, Macon, Haywood, Swain, Cherokee and Buncombe counties.
The concert is free and open to the public.