Grant funds installation by Haywood artistWritten by Admin
- Area agency, citizens honored by Haywood Waterways
- Ramos selected as acting superintendent of the Smokies
- Environmental groups push forest service to scale back logging below Devil’s Courthouse
- ‘EPIC’: First-ever rail jam at Cataloochee attracts 50 competitors
- Cataloochee documentary to be screened at HCC
Susan Livengood of Fines Creek has been awarded a 2009 Regional Artist Project Grant from the North Carolina Arts Council.
Livengood, whose paintings are represented by Art on Depot in Waynesville, used the money to do a three-dimensional installation, loosely referring to a classic triptych. The project is called “Chemo Today” and deals with the moment that a woman with cancer takes to gather herself to face another day battling cancer. The figure is crouched in the bottom of her closet, surrounded by familiar items that have taken on an unfamiliar, alien aspect.
Livengood has shown at Haywood Arts Regional Theatre in Waynesville and the Haywood Public Library. Her next show is in September at the Andrews Art Museum.